Thursday, November 19, 2015

RUN FOR YOUR FUCKING LIFE s/t LP (2000)

1.Thirty eight milligrams
2.Hold your breath
3.My dead friends and those who may as well be dead
4.Trust is a good concept in theory
5.The straw that broke the camels back
6.Slow veins
7.Still beating heart
8.Natural selection
9.Gone
10.'88 kid
11.Scathed 2000

I met members of this band while I was on an extended stay with my buddy Mark McCoy in California.  We were doing a promotional gig for work, and we ended up staying in a house that our friend Justin Pearson lived in with a bunch of other cats in San Diego.  It was a crazy time, and I have tons of really cool memories about it all.  At any rate I first met a member of RFYFL at Pokez (a Mexican food joint that every one seemed to eat at).  I think he might have worked there?  Whomever it was gave me a unmixed tape or CD of this LP.  I immediatly cranked it in the truck we were driving around the U.S. in.  I fell in love with the recording right away and Mark really nudged me to put it out.  The bands music didn't have anything to do with the "San Diego sound" that had become very popular.  It was straight up, in your face, pissed of 80's styled hardcore thrash.  It reminded me of elements of Poison Idea and Negative Approach (with some more modern epic crust parts).  The sort of stuff I grew up on.  The recording and sound were so genuine that you could feel the hate/ confusion in the songs.  It wasn't manufactured or fake… it felt like these guys not only hated their audience, but hated one another.  After talking to Justin about it, and him telling me that nobody in town was willing to put it out, I tracked down Jeff who played drums for the band, and co-owned a record shop in the area.  A totally sweet guy who I'm still in touch with today.  The rest is history.  They mixed the record, got me artwork and I pressed it up and sold 1000 Lp's.  Not the most popular band ever, but thats not what hardcore is supposed to be about, right?  Still one of my favorite Gloom releases.  If you see it in a used bin grab it up.  Enjoy the tunes!

Share RFYFL LP.zip - 32 MB


No comments:

Post a Comment