Thursday, May 14, 2009

RAVEN hard ride 7" (1981)

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

01.hard ride
02.crazy world

Raven were the shit to me in the early 80's. They were a three piece with two brothers playing bass and guitar(the Gallagher Bros.). They formed in New Castle I think in around 1976. They started off as part of the NWOBHM scene in the late 70's into the early 80s, and then moved more into the speed metal vein, even touring with Metallica(when they were still gods). I Definitely think these guys were underrated and helped to create speed metal. I mean come on man, the Rock until you drop LP was released in '81, and was crucial for the time period. I don't think Bands like Kreator would have even formed if it weren't for shit like this. Its hard to fathom why people don't give these guys the credit they deserve. I mean I get it...Unfortunately they put out a bunch of really bad records after the almighty "all for one" LP.
When I hear the screams during "crazy world", it makes me fucking happy, and I wanna lose it. Early on though, when they were on Neat Records and putting out singles, they really had a punk type attitude, and look to them. The logo was so awesome looking. This is about as as These dudes were one of those UK bands that made me discover, and kept me buying the Neat Records eps. I could usually find them at Strawberry's Records and Tapes in Colonie NY. I'd have posted the 1st single instead of this one, but its already on another blog I follow. These songs both later came out on Rock until you drop. Enjoy.

http://www.mediafire.com/?14ykyy5oejz

13 comments:

  1. I am stunned by this blog. Keep up the amazing archiving. Thanks a lot dude. Damn. CHEERS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in agreement. This blog blows me away, and every time I look at it there is something new that I know I will love.
    Thanks for the work you put in it.
    Raymond

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man oh man. I caught these guys on the "kill em all for one" tour back in the 80's. Metallica blew them away, but Raven was absolutely pounding as well.
    Thank you for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LONG LIVE WACKO!
    -- R.Burch '83

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These guys are really kickin! Don't need your Money, c/w Wiped out 7" and All for one kick ass too. Thanks for putting this one up

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the comments guys. I've got another Nwobhm beaut that I'm putting up later today.

    Nate

    ReplyDelete
  8. Exactly howI felt about them back then... MINDBLOWING FAST HEAVY METAL!
    Laurent-Snakepit mag
    www.truemetal.org/snakepit/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember back when the NWOBHM was in full swing Raven were gods! I couldn't believe how horribly bad the studio records right after "All For One" were ("Live At The Inferno" kicked ass). They kinda went back with "Nothing Exceeds Like Excess" (or whatever it was called) but their stint with Atlantic irreparably damaged their reputation as far as I'm concerned. The Neat stuff is essential though...

    Got anything by Warfare.They recorded for Neat and Lemmy produced their "Metal Anarchy" LP. I've got it if you want me to up it for you but the bit rate sux.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nate, I love Raven, I love you
    - Jim in smalbany

    ReplyDelete
  11. FUCKIN' HELL!!, i'm 45 years old and i was totally into the nwobhm, i was in a band '81-'84 called VIRUS, RAVEN were my favourite band with THE TYGERS OF PAN TANG. And yes, i'm totally with you, RAVEN were totally speed metal pioneers. Great blog. Greetings from Mallorca (Spain).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for Raven. Fantastic live band and two great studio LPs, especially the first one. btw, when you said they toured with Metallica, your audience needs to understand that Merallica were the opening act! I saw them twice in that capacity once in a small club in Yonkers and the second time at Roseland when they were headlining over Metallica (just before they came out with Ride the Lightning, and pre-Belladona Anthrax.

    ReplyDelete