Saturday, June 13, 2009

HELLHAMMER apocalyptic raids 12"(1984)

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

01.the third of storms(evoked damnation)
02.massacra
03.triumph of death
04.horus/aggressor

Hellhammer was of course pre Celtic Frost and hailed from Switzerland. I'd never heard of any music coming out of the country at the time. Both bands had a huge impact on both the black metal scene(which really was pretty non existent at the time), and doom metal. The only other bands I can recall being this "evil" at the time would have been Venom, Mercyful Fate, Bathory, and Slayer. It's also pretty amazing to hear what an impact these dudes had on the crust punk scene.

It was probably the same all over America, but In my high school during the early to mid 1980's there weren't all to many kids who were keen on underground music. I'm dating myself for sure, but back then you really only had three to four different cliques. You had your Jocks, Preps, Heads(or burnouts), and then the weirdos who didn't fit in anywhere. The later were usually like super smart nerds, or weird artfags(some of whom were punk rockers). I was a metalhead for sure, and most my friends were burnouts who hung out in the smoking area between classes, and during lunch and free periods. The music most of these kids were listening to was stuff like Zepplin, Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Judas Priest, etc. There was a small group of us at Shaker that were digging on Newer and more underground metal. Stuff like Exodus, Slayer, Metallica, DRI, COC, Destruction, Venom, etc. Not only did the rest of the school think we were freaks, but the heads we were chillin with thought we were sorta fucked up, and couldn't grasp the music. I recall first discovering Hellhammer, and sort of liking it, but then hearing "triumph of death" and being like, this is noise. "I could play this" I thought to myself. There was a kid I recall, I think his name was Mike Kinny. Mike walked around school with a huge Celtic Frost back patch on his denim jacket. Imagine that in 1984-85. Dude was sort of a loner for sure. So cool...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

http://www.mediafire.com/?zeqongjcjmj

21 comments:

  1. Nate
    we would have been best friends if we grew up in the same town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not what I expected, they are really intense. The whole 12" kicked my ass and I gladly accepted it. Thanks for puttin this one up

    ReplyDelete
  3. one thing i always like about early Frost and Hellhammer was the way the faster tunes just seemed to glide along. Guess its because the music doesn't really "chug" - more a punk-ish style in the gits. Though i must say, some of the doomy stuff they did was some of their best work (i.e. Dethroned Emperor, Procreation of the wicket, Dawn of meggido, and the mind blowing/splattering Necromantical Screams!!)

    Good little record here, though i must say i do like the first few Celtic Frost records quite a bit more. Even my Mom likes Celtic Frost!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Got here via Fenriz's blog, and I'm excited to go through your archives. Great blog; linked.

    It's also pretty amazing to hear what an impact these dudes had on the crust punk scene.


    So true, I love this era when punk and metal were just this huge hodgepodge of different permutations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hails and praises my friend!

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. yo saw you mentioned "Shaker," do you mena shaker hts, ohio?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everyone should already have this, ferchrissakes. I just wanted to comment because I don't think I can thank you enough for that first Holocaust LP. Infinite thanks, man.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man, this EP is so friggin' raw and brutal, it really blew me away. It really reminds me of Bathory's first album and Sodom's "In the Sign of Evil" but it's got its own nasty vibe.

    I hear that all the early Hellhammer stuff has been collected in a nice 2 disc digipack from Century Media and I'm definitely gonna pick that up based on this post. And they say posting music doesn't help promote it. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you're right Chuck. thanks for the comments buddy. I do love reading others thoughts, and how they feel about these records.

    Leo, no...Shaker high school, its in NY state.

    Nate

    ReplyDelete
  10. great record, loving this.
    great blog too. Greetings from argentina

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love this record so much i named my cat Hellhammer...and he's the fucking coolest cat i know.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh yeah, and i've been coming to this blog a bit but i started up one of my own, maybe a link exchange?
    http://scummified.blogspot.com

    keep the good posts coming!

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Triumph of Death" was the first song I ever learned to play. Seems like a hundred years ago now! I've got the ep somewhere at my folks place, but it's nice to have a digital version.

    Thanks for the upload.

    P.S. Toronto's "Legion 666" has an e.p. with an updated and reworked version of the cover, which looks totally bitchin'.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Terveet Kadet, United Mutation, Gai...are all punk hardcore bands that was there before Hellhammer. First Terveet Kadet even pre-date Venom, and Terveet Kadet could easily be considered a prototype for Black Metal. Listen to the vocals! Listen to the first song on the their "aareton joulu" and see how they were way more intense and closer to black metal than cheesy bands like Venom. Same thing for United Mutation, total proto-black metal. Gai "Extermination" sond like black metal and it pre-date crap like Cradle Of Filth. Hellhammer had barely any influence on the early 80's punk hardcore bands. Maybe the later bands, but punk hardcore was there before Hellhammer, Celtic Frost and Venom. But i still like Hellhammer...

    ReplyDelete
  15. come on Anonymous, get your head out of your ass. United Mutation, Black Metal sounding?? weirdo...

    Nate

    ReplyDelete
  16. i remember when i first bought a copy of apocalyptic raids on cd and i was like...i don't know, i liked it but not THAT much...and few years after i bought the compilation "Demon Entrails" with the Hellhammer demos and somehow i was totally amazed by this band, i loved the sound of those demos and i could understand at last the esssence of this classic record...and now is one of my favorite records...it's like an acquired taste...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey man, I ditto the first post. We are kindred spirits with similar musical tastes, and where I grew up (Loveland, CO) it was the same. There were a few of us who got it ... and sported our denim jackets with patches and drawings on them daily. I "grew out" of metal and punk for a while ... but I am back and will never stop being a fan. Seeing Slayer in '86 changed me forever. That same year I saw Celtic Frost, Voi Vod, Dark Angel and lots of other shows. Man those were some fun days...

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  19. this is goddamned awesome. i remember finding this on cassette in some cut-out bin in 1993 or so. changed my life.

    ReplyDelete
  20. link broken ,please fix this ! greetz from germoney...

    ReplyDelete