Wednesday, November 5, 2008

ANTI-SYSTEM defence of the realm 7" (1983)

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

1.animal welfare
2.no longer to choose
3.service/1000 rifles
4.government lies
5.bomb threat

Anti-System formed in England in 1981, and put this, their first record out in 1983. Great d beat discore stuff from these Animal rights activists. Supposedly Members went to prison for roles in Animal rights acts. The only other band I really knew who sounded, and played like this at the time were Discharge.
In any case these guys have had a huge influence on hardcore bands even still today.
The song "Animal welfare" had an impact on my vegetarian ways early on...More so then the likes of Crass whom sorta played a more hippie style of punk, sharing some of the same ideas/values as bands such as Anti-system. Myself and buddies Louis and Roger would drive around the suburbs of Albany blasting the likes of this shit, while using sling shots to take out windows at fast food joints.
The political lyrics these dudes were writing were all things that thinking people growing up in the late 70's and 80's could relate to. Reagan and the cold war scared the shit out of all of us. Every day we thought a nuclear war was going to break out. Listening back to Its no wonder I was so fucking scared. This record reminds me of the fear and anger I was living with through my teenage years.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

"Bomb Threat"

All things bright and beautiful, all creatures great and small
Now have all been wiped out, the good bomb took them all

Dismantle all your weapons, they only bring you harm
I hope I never see destruction or hear the warning alarm

A bomb threat forever hangs over our heads
I hope I never see the end, I pray the bomb they never send

If the sirens start to ring, for the fallout shelter I will head
I know some will never make it -- needless deaths

http://www.mediafire.com/?z1izgyyyqlw

6 comments:

  1. I owned this twenty years ago. Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This animal rights shit is hilarious...
    the music i great, but the lyrics...

    ReplyDelete
  3. my buddy rob with whom i do our blod together also digs this band very much!i'll let him know that you posted this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. f'ing great. reminds of when i first heard those early rudimentary penii 7 inches

    ReplyDelete