Tuesday, November 18, 2008

DRESDEN 45 swiss bank account 7" (1988)

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

1.no need
2.live for money
3.newtons bad apple
4.smokin' usa
5.southern cal.

This is D45's second 7", it came out in 1988, and is a real treat, holding a special place in my heart. The band was formed in 1985 in Houston Texas, the home of Verbal Abuse, and DRI(before those bands both relocated to San Francisco). Dresden put out a number of 7"s(maybe four total?), and a LP. This 7" is the beginning of their thrashy crossover sound. Lots of crazy guitar solos, noodles and pointless wanks keep me loving this ep. The vocals are snotty, nerdy, but fast and sharp.
I recall reading a review of this ep in Maximum Rock n Roll back in the day when I looked at it as a bible for punk hardcore. The review, and the band name made me write the band, sending them $2 and a copy of my band the Romper Room Rejects demo tape. A few weeks later I received this ep in the mail, with a nice note from the guitarist (Pat I think). Was a pretty inspirational lil note that made me proud to be in RRR. For a good month this ep didn't leave my turntable, and even gained the attention of my metalheaded roomy Kenny D. Through the bands years they became even tighter, and more metal influenced. The "paradise lost" LP is a good place to go from here. Enjoy and please comment if you download.

http://www.mediafire.com/?zvww2yynrmy

15 comments:

  1. Hi Gloom! I haven't visited you for a while..Dresden 45's Live for Money could be friends w/ Dri's Crossover sound. The guitars and galloping drums makes me feel like I'm back at Fenders Ballroom circa '86 watchin' my ass! lol>Thanks.>Dr Argee

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you Nate! Your passion inspires me, and makes me remember the good times in punk/hardcore.
    More 7" uploads would be rad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the comments dudes. It was the good 'ol days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is a nice record by a band i've never had the pleasure of hearing. the vocals have that loose sound that reminds me a little of RKL...something that alot of bands at the time had but i don't hear enough of anymore. nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Nate - met you back in the Devoid Of Faith days with the Black Army Jacket guys who I used to hang with a lot and found your blog and enjoy it a lot. My buddy Mauro who runs Arclight Records out of Austin, Texas reissued the 'Paradise Lost' LP on CD along with some other stuff though not the 7"s I believe. If'n's anyone's interested they can find it here: http://www.arclightrecords.com/. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ben! hey man, thanks for getting in touch. Those were the good 'ol days. Do you live in NYC? In touch with those guys still? I work with Russo who played 2nd bass.

    Str8ev, I can see what your saying about the vox. thanks. Nate

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, still in NYC, living in Queens. Not really in touch with any of them dudes though saw Dan the original drummer a few weeks ago at a show. He's got a new band called Violent Bullshit that sound like Crossed Out and they played with Fresh Kills which Jim from Go!/Hell No plays in and who my band The Brought Low shares a practice with. Man, that's a lot of name dropping for one post hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ben you were in a pop punk band on Reservoir weren't you? If so I can picture your face.
    I see Dan at a practice space in broklyn called sweatshop. His hair is crazy. I know of his new hc band.

    Nate

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks man. It feels like I was there. This stuff is so great. It reminds me of DRI, and RKL in many ways. Can you post more of this type of stuff?
    Your blog is my favorite on this big 'ol web.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ben you were in a pop punk band on Reservoir weren't you? If so I can picture your face.

    Close. I used to be in a band called Sweet Diesel, URL attached. We were never on Reservoir but I used to give Andrew Orlando guitar lessons and I wrote the liner notes for the "Nothings Quiet.." comp and saw DOF many, many times. Like Dan, I am much hairier now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is who I thought you were Ben. Glad to see you are still rockin, and rolling. Those really were good times.

    ReplyDelete
  12. missing the last song

    ReplyDelete
  13. wrong... tracks 4-5 are connected as theree isn't a proper break between songs. If you look at the songs you downloaded track 04. says
    smoke/southern cali
    no missing tracks.

    oh, and your welcome for the music Mr. Anonymous

    Nate

    ReplyDelete
  14. men a classic, the old school, the fathers of the music, this is jus a little bit that I can say about this band, to me this band is like a new beginning for the music.

    ReplyDelete