Friday, May 25, 2007

Sacrilege-demo (1985)

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

1.Azmeroth
2.Skinned Alive
3.Crucified
4.Heed No Warning

I can remember clearly the day I bought this demo at the record vault in S.F. Andy from Attitude Adjustment talked me into buying his bands demo, this demo, and the Excel demo. It was the best $9 I ever spent, seriously. I loved going to this store and getting the scoop from employees like Andy Airborne.
Sacrilege were one of those great Bay Area metal bands that crossed over into the punk scene and had serious DIY roots. I can recall being blown away live by these guys at the rock on broadway and the farm (opening for the Subhumans I think). I was even more blown away when I went to some early Gilman Street/MRR meetings and members of Sacrilege were there involving themselves, and giving their impute on the creation of a new DIY club run by punks for punks. The lyrical content of "skinned alive" really had an impact on me (and has one of the best mosh parts ever in the song during the second solo). A metal/thrash band singing about the cruel and unusual killing of seals. The band later had added B.C. (Berkely core) at the end of their name to differentiate themselves from the other bands called Sacrilege. Sacrilege B.C. are one of my all time favorite metal bands ever.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
the photo is one of a kind. thats Moose the first bassist all the way to the right, and vocalist Stephon Taylor in the center

Sacrilege -demo Download

7 comments:

  1. So rad that you have this. I grew up in San Jose, but I did most of my record shopping at Record Vault so I could botherthe staff. I'm sure we must have crossed paths. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thanks. I'm Sean SMithson, one of the SACRILEGE BC members at the Gilman meetings and the bassist on Party With God. It's great to be remembered so fondly.

    For anyone interested, or singer Strephon now runs a bad ass t-shirt company and does a Rob Zombie parody band called SLOB with put old guitarist Tim Howell. I myself am creator/host of a Creature Features type show called NIGTMARE ALLEY and write about films.

    Bla bla bla.

    Feel free to contact me at diemonsterdie@gmail.com with any questions about, well, whatever, hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for commenting Sean. Sacrilege are up there in my favs list. it was a long time ago, but it feels like almost yest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have to say this is a great demo, and quite a band, although i believe the bassist is not carrying the image the rest of the band gives, may be that's why he was replaced.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I HAVE THE TWO RECORDS AND I'M PROUD OF IT SACRILEGE BC RULES FOREVER THE FIRST TIME I'VEEN HEARD THEM WAS IN 1987 IN THIS YEAR MY FRIENDS FORMED A BAND CALLED DAMNATION AND THEY DO A COVER OF THESE GUYS SKINNED ALIVE WAS THE SONG KILLER SONG WE LIVE IN MONTERREY MEXICO AND I'M STILL INTO THRASH METAL AND CRUST A ND PUNK HARDCORE 1'M 41 YEARS OLD

    ReplyDelete
  6. I first heard Sacrilege BC on the Alchemy comp. I liked what I heard, but the only album I could find was Too Cool To Pray. I just found out Party W/ God was recently reissued, just picked it up at Amazon. Only about 25 years late!

    ReplyDelete